- A windshield chip can crack at any time. Increased pressure could turn the chip into a crack at a moment’s notice – including while driving.
- Repairing a chipped windshield can take as little as 30 minutes.
- Windshield chip repair saves money. The cost of windshield replacement far exceeds that of repairing a chip.
- The longer you leave a windshield chip, the more likely it is to get worse. In cold weather conditions, windshields contract. As a result, windshield chips and dings are more likely to spread in a horizontal fashion. According to a study conducted by the Motor Industry Research Association (MIRA), chips were likely to spread more than 80% of the time at temperatures of 14 degrees (-10° C). Windshield chips tested at 32 degrees were nearly 60% likely to crack.
- Warm weather conditions cause windshields chips to spread into vertical cracks. The cooling effect of the air conditioning unit makes chips even more likely to crack.
- Driving over a speed bump, pothole or other uneven terrain can cause a windshield chip to crack. The force radiates through the car and puts additional pressure on the edges of the chip, which can quickly lead to a crack.
Although it is not possible to say how long it will take for a windshield chip to spread, simply driving will eventually cause or lengthen a windshield crack.
Getting a your windshield repaired early can stop the damage from spreading and prevent the need for a windshield replacement.
Call us at: 925-268-8248